Newbury Park High School Parents,
I hope this email finds you and your loved ones safe, and I hope you have a great Thanksgiving as well. As we return to school next week, I wanted to send you an update regarding the updated schedule for next week and how Newbury High School and the school district are committed to providing the support and assistance necessary for all NP students during these tough times. As mentioned by our superintendent, the school district has applied for a waiver from the state, which would prevent us from having to extend the school year. The school district is confident we will receive that waiver. Finally, I want to assure all parents and students that all teachers and staff members understand that trying to add extra work and assignments to “catch up” will not be the course of action we will take. NPHS teachers will begin instruction where they left off, collaborate with department members to identify only the essential topics to cover and modify any upcoming assessments including final exams based only on covered material. We are also working with all departments to support students enrolled in higher-level courses such as International Baccalaureate and Advanced Placement. Finally, all previously scheduled meetings postponed during the closure including any IEP, SST or 504, will be rescheduled at the earliest date possible.
Monday, November 26th
- We have now made the first day back to school a collaboration/late start day.
- We are on a B day schedule for the day.
- The late start schedule will allow the NPHS staff to meet as an entire group, review the plans in place to support your child and prepare for the start of classes.
- Please click on the following link for the bell schedule and other information. BELL SCHEDULE NOVEMBER 26TH INFORMATION
- All we are doing is canceling the late start scheduled for Wednesday, November 28th and moving it to Monday, November 26.
- School counselors will be available to senior students from 8:15 am to 9:50 am in the main office to assist with any college application questions they might have.
- School counselors, district counselors and private practice counselors will be available all day in the college and career center to support any student who is need of counseling.
- In order to allow students to get their physical education clothes out of their lockers, take their clothes home and wash their clothes, students will are not required to dress out for physical education on the first day back.
- As I am sending this email out to you, there will also be an optional student led vigil to honor and remember the victims of the Borderline tragedy. This optional event will take place from 10:00 am to 10:20 am in the quad. If the date gets changed, we will send an update out
- We have moved the Senior Panorama Picture and Graduation information presentation from Jostens to Wednesday, December 12, which is a late start day.
Tuesday, November 27th
- We will be on regular A day bell schedule.
- School Site Council is meeting at 3:00 pm in the Library Conference Room.
- NPHS counselors will be hosting a college application meeting from 6:00 pm to 7:30 pm in the library for all interested senior parents and students.
- Please click on the link for specific information related to the counseling presentation. COLLEGE APPLICATION MEETING INFORMATION
Wednesday, November 28
- I will be hosting a Principal’s Coffee from 8:30 am to 9:50 am in the school cafeteria. Please click on the link for time and important information. PRINCIPAL’S COFFEE INVITATION
- Little Shop of Horrors will open at 7:00 pm in the Performing Art Center. Please click on the link for all dates and times for this exciting show. LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS SCHEDULE
As you review the school calendar for the rest of the week, there are a few changes to banquets and other meetings. Please make sure that you are reviewing the calendar, communicating with any coaches or program directors to get an updated schedule of practices, meetings or events.
Over the past few weeks, our community has endured too much upheaval and tragedy, but in the face of the challenges that individually and as a community we encountered, we have become even stronger. We have supported those who needed a helping hand, we have provided a shoulder to lean on and we have banded together as a family. The Newbury Park High School community will always be part of a bigger purpose. That purpose is to be One Community! Thank you again for your support and commitment to Newbury Park High School and as always: WE ARE BETTER TOGETHER!